Monday, July 5, 2010

Use It Up, Wear It Out: Grapenuts (Day 1)

My Use It Up, Wear It Out Challenge began tonight, when I was absolutely starving. There is a definite lack of snack foods around this house, which is pretty devastating for a pregnant lady. I rummaged around the pantry and found this:





Also known as Grape Nuts, for the more brand-conscious. This has been sitting around for at least six months. Six months ago, I remembered absolutely loving Grape-Nuts- I mean, "Nutty Nuggets"- in high school, so I bought a box. Unfortunately, I grew a couple wisdom teeth between high school and now, and thus I came to the literally painful realization that Grape-Nuts now wedge perfectly in my gums. Not fun!


Believe it or not, you can use Grape-Nuts to make these:






Also known as delicious muffins!


The recipe I used is found here. What I liked about this recipe:

  • It calls for applesauce (another thing that's been in the fridge forever! Score!)
  • Whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar-- brown sugar. And that's it.
  • A good amount of cinnamon (my ingredient of choice!)

This was a definite win.


If you are also using up things in your pantry, feel free to link a post about it here!



The Use It Up Saga:

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Looks good and good work! I'm looking forward to seeing what else you can do with your pantry items!

    ReplyDelete